Veterans can request DD214 online. Request yours today!

Have you lost your DD214?  Is your DD214 hard to read?

One of the most important documents a Veteran should have handy is the DD214.  For instance, to close on a VA home loan, a Veteran must provide the form.  But often the form is misplaced or gets worn out.  Well, there is a website for veterans to gain access to their DD214 discharge papers online.  So don’t procrastinate!  Update your DD214 before you need it, because it could take a little time to receive.  There are a couple ways to request it and the steps are provided below per the NPRC website.

How to Request a DD214

Contact the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)

Request by Phone:  Call NPRC Customer Service Line at 314-801-0800 from 6:00 AM EST thru 6:00 PM EST

Request Online:  Request Your DD214 Here

Who can order records online?  You may use the National Archives system if you are:

  • A military veteran
  • Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military.  The next of kin can be any of the following:
    • Surviving spouse that has not remarried
    • Father
    • Mother
    • Son
    • Daughter
    • Sister
    • Brother

Required Information needed to obtain the DD214:

  • The veteran’s complete name used while in service
  • Service number
  • Social Security Number
  • Branch of service
  • Dates of service
  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known)
  • If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
    • Place of discharge
    • Last unit of assignment
    • Place of entry into the service, if known
  • The Veteran or next of kin must sign and date the request
  • Additional documentation is required if you are next of kin for a deceased Veteran.  Must prove the death of the veteran with either a copy of a death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

Recommended Information (optional):  While this information is not required, it is extremely helpful to NPRC staff in understanding and fulfilling your request:Request your DD214 National Archives

  • The purpose or reason for your request, such as applying for veterans benefits, preparing to retire, or researching your personal military history
  • Any deadlines related to your request.  They will do their best to meet any priorities.  For example, mention the deadline of a VA loan approval
  • Any other specific information, documents, or records you require from your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) besides your Report of Separation (DD214)

Response time for records requested from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) varies and is dependent on several areas.  Response time depends  on complexity of your request, the availability of records, and their workload.  Please do not send a follow-up request before 90 days have elapsed, as it may cause further delays. While the NPRC works actively to respond to each request in a timely fashion, the Center receives approximately 4,000 – 5,000 requests per day. We are responding to requests for separation documents within 10 days about 92% of the time.  However, requests that involve reconstruction efforts due to the 1973 Fire, or older records which require extensive search efforts, may take 6 months or more to complete.

Posted by Dietchi Thomas on


Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.